Die CIA legt al-Zawahri um – in Kabul!

Standard

 

 

Gut zwei Jahrzehnte nach dem epochalen al-Kaida-Angriff auf die USA vom 11. September 2001 (9/11) teilte am 1. August 2022 Präsident Biden mit: Die CIA hat ihn Kabul den al-Kaida-Chef Ayman al-Zawahri aufgespürt und getötet. Elf Jahre lang, seit dem Tod des Gründers Osama Bin-Laden am 2. Mai 2011, hatte al-Zawahri die Terrororganisation geführt; sie ist derzeit nur noch “ein Schatten ihrer selbst”.

Unterschlupf trotz Doha-Abkommen von 2020

Von allen Meldungen, die heute das Internet füllen, haben wir den sachlichen Bericht des zuverlässigen Londoner Dienstes Forces ausgewählt. Die Briten sind ihren amerikanischen Cousins so nahe, dass sie über die USA am meisten wissen; und gleichzeitig wahren ihre Dienst genug Distanz, um Konflikte ausgewogen zu beurteilen. Als Hauptaussagen seien hervorgehoben:

  • Trotz des Doha-Abkommens von 2020 lebte al-Zawahri offenbar ungeniert mitten in Kabul. In Doha hatten sich die Taliban verpflichtet, nie mehr zum Refugium für Terroristen zu werden. Nach 9/11 griffen die USA und ihre Alliierten die Taliban an, weil sie Bin-Laden Unterschlupf und Trainingscamps erlaubt hatten.
  • Am 31. August 2021, unmittelbar nach dem Abzug der amerikanischen Armee am Vortag um 23.59 Uhr, machte Präsident Biden unmissverständlich klar: “Wir führen den Anti-Terror-Kampf in Afghanistan weiter. Dazu brauchen wir keinen Bodenkrieg.” Jetzt hielt er Wort: Er gab grünes Licht zum Schlag gegen Bin-Ladens Nachfolger.
  • Innenpolitisch ist anzufügen: Der Erfolg kommt für Biden und seine Demokraten gerade rechtzeitig vor den Halbzeitswahlen im November 2022. Nach Osama Bin-Ladens Tod trat Präsident Obama vor die Kameras. 2020 war es Präsident Trump – nach der Eliminierung des gefürchteten, fähigen Iran-Generals Qassem Soleimani. Biden ist im politischen Tief. Da ergreift er jeden Strohhalm; wobei ein Anti-Terror-Schlag mehr als ein Strohhalm ist, so schwach al-Kaida inzwischen geworden ist.

Es folgt der Text von Forces:

On Monday, Mr Biden expressed hope that the killing of al-Zawahri brings “one more measure of closure” to families of the victims of the 9/11 attacks on the United States.

In an address from the White House, the president said: “He will never again, never again, allow Afghanistan to become a terrorist safe haven because he is gone and we’re going to make sure that nothing else happens.

“This terrorist leader is no more.”

He said US intelligence officials tracked al-Zawahri to a home in downtown Kabul where he was hiding out with his family. The president approved the operation last week and it was carried out on Sunday.

Al-Zawahri and the better-known Osama bin Laden plotted the 9/11 attacks that brought many ordinary Americans their first knowledge of Al Qaeda.

Bin Laden was killed in Pakistan on 2 May 2011, in operation carried out by US Navy Seals after a nearly decade-long hunt.

The strike was carried out by the CIA, according to five people familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity. Neither Mr Biden nor the White House detailed the CIA’s involvement in the strike.

Earlier, White House officials declined to confirm al-Zawahri was killed but noted in a statement that the United States conducted a “successful” counterterrorism operation against a significant Al Qaeda target, adding that “there were no civilian casualties”.

Speaking on August 31, 2021, after the last US troops left Afghanistan, Mr Biden said the US would not let up on its fight against terrorism in that country or elsewhere.

“We will maintain the fight against terrorism in Afghanistan and other countries,” he said.

“We just don’t need to fight a ground war to do it.”

Previewing the strike that would occur 11 months later, Mr Biden said at the time: “We have what’s called over-the-horizon capabilities, which means we can strike terrorists and targets without American boots on the ground — or very few, if needed.”

A statement from Afghanistan’s Taliban government confirmed the airstrike but did not mention al-Zawahri or any other casualties.

It said the Taliban “strongly condemns this attack and calls it a clear violation of international principles and the Doha Agreement,” the 2020 US pact with the Taliban that led to the withdrawal of American forces.

“Such actions are a repetition of the failed experiences of the past 20 years and are against the interests of the United States of America, Afghanistan, and the region,” the statement said.